All women will be offered a comprehensive screening test for the most common chromosomal and fetal abnormalities, such as Down’s Syndrome. This will include an early scan performed at 11-14 weeks which will also date the pregnancy and provide your due date. It will also identify any major structural abnormalities in the fetus. Often referred to as the “nuchal scan”, this scan measures the ‘fluid behind the baby’s neck’. This measurement together with a blood test obtained from the mother provides the necessary information to calculate the risk of common chromosomal abnormalities. The more robust screening tests known as the non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) is also available.
We also offer a definitive diagnostic test for an additional fee to women found to be at high risk following prenatal screening, or to women who opt for a definitive test independent of the screening test results. These tests are known as Chorionic Villous Sampling (CVS) or amniocentesis. We work with one of the leading clinical genetics labs in the country to provide results as quickly as possible.
- Fetal anomaly scan and wellbeing scans in pregnancy
With extensive experience in scanning in pregnancy, Dr Paspathy will perform all scans in pregnancy himself. In addition to the “nuchal scan” performed at 12 weeks, Dr Pasupathy will also perform the detail 20-week anomaly scan, and later growth scans in pregnancy. He also performs 3D & 4D ultrasounds. If problems are identified during these scans with your baby, as a sub-specialist in fetal medicine Dr Pasupathy will provide a detailed consultation and arrange all the necessary tests and follow-ups required. At the Westminster maternity suite he is the only consultant providing fetal medicine services. The comprehensive maternity package with Dr Pasupathy includes the costs of all scans in pregnancy.
- Fetal wellbeing scan – dating, growth scan +/- includes a comprehensive consultation of pregnancy
Dr Pasupathy performs all ultrasound scans as part of the comprehensive private maternity care package or for women who only opt to have some additional scans in pregnancy. These include
- Early pregnancy viability scan – This is usually performed soon after a positive pregnancy test in the first trimester.
- Dating and nuchal translucency scan – This scan is performed as part of the combined screen for Down’s Syndrome or part of the non-invasive prenatal diagnosis test. We will also provide the estimated date of delivery following this scan.
- Anomaly scan – This scan is performed between 18 – 22 weeks focused at detecting major fetal abnormalities.
- Wellbeing scans – Dr Pasupathy provides wellbeing scan for assessment of fetal wellbeing throughout pregnancy. These scans will assess both the growth of the baby and the function of placenta in pregnancy.
- Consultation – as a sub-specialist in fetal medicine, Dr Pasupathy will be able to provide a comprehensive consultation with the results of these tests and discuss options of care in pregnancy.
- 3D/4D Ultrasound
- The complex pregnancy
- Fetal complications – fetal growth abnormalities, twins (MCDA), fetal structural abnormalities
- Maternal wellbeing – maternal disease in pregnancy – hypothyroid, diabetes in pregnancy
In some pregnancies either because of a history of adverse outcomes in prevous pregnancy, such as growth restriction in previous pregnancy, existing higher risk pregnancies such as twin pregnancy or pre-existing medical problems in the expectant mother, such as blood pressure problems it is important that there is regular and close monitoring in pregnancy. Dr Pasupathy is a subspecialist in Maternal & Fetal Medicine with the necessary expertise to look after these high risk pregnancies.